Gulkand or Rose Petal preserve is a power packed little treat. Not only is it delicious as a spread, but is also a potent herbal remedy in Ayurvedic Indian medicine. It is often prescribed as a cooling tonic in the summers and as a digestive aid.
Rose Petal Preserve (Gulkand)
- Sterilized glass jar
- 1 cup organic rose petals
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cardamom powder or crushed cardamom
- 2 tbsp water
- Spread our half the rose petals at the bottom of a sterilized glass jar
- Sprinkle half the sugar or the rose petals followed by the cardamom
- Spread remaining rose petals over the sugar
- Sprinkle remaining sugar
- Pour water and honey on top and seal the lid tight.
- Place the jar in sunlight for 6-8 hours a day
- Stir well every other day
- Gulkand will be ready to use in about 10 days.
- Store in a cool dry place. No refrigeration needed.