Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani Recipe
This beautiful vegetarian version uses half the marinade spices from the Spicecraft Biryani Spice Kit and a selection of veggies.
- 1 Spicecraft Hyderabadi Biryani Spice Kit
- 400 g Basmati Rice Good quality
- 1 bunch Fresh Mint leaves
- 1 bunch Fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Canola or sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Butter or olive oil
- 1 Lemon
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 Potatoes (3 small or 2 large)
- 1 Red onion medium
- 900 g mixed veggies (carrots, cauliflower, green beans, capsicum)
Add spices from the Rice Spice Mix sachet to a large saucepan along with 1 tbsp oil and 2 liters of boiling water. Check the water for saltiness. It should be salty like the sea. If not, add more salt. This step is very important to ensure the rice is properly flavoured. The salt will be rinsed away later.Drain the rice that's been soaking underwater and carefully add it into the boiling water. Stir once, then allow the rice to cook on high heat for 4 mins. After 4 mins, turn off the heat and strain the parboiled rice discarding the water. It is very important to not overcook the rice to avoid a gluggy Biryani. You now have fragrant, gently spiced riced all ready for layering.
Cook the Vegetable Biryani
Cook the Biryani in the oven in it’s own steam at 170 degrees for 40 mins with the lid tightly on.
Remove pot from the oven and allow it to stand for 5 mins. Remove the lid and the foil. Biryani is ready to serve.