Vegan Butter Chicken - no butter, no chicken
Vegan Butter Chicken is a clearly a contradiction in terms. A more accurate name would be Spiced Char-grilled Cauliflower in a creamy Coconut Curry. Doesn't have the same ring, but tastes absolutely amazing.
SpiceCraft kits are completely vegan. All you need to do is use a different set of fresh ingredients.
Use chargrilled cauliflower in place of chicken and coconut cream in place of the dairy to cook up a sensational curry that will have everyone coming back for seconds. The cooking steps remain the same.
You will need:
1. One Cauliflower head (600-700g) or crispy tofu or baby potatoes
2. 300 ml light coconut cream
3. 2 tbsp olive oil
4. 140g tamato paste
5. 1/2 tbsp sugar
6. Coriander for garnish.
1. Make a paste using the marinade spices in the kit and 1 tbsp olive oil.
2. Marinade the cauliflower florets using this paste and then chargrill it on the BBQ or an oven.
3. To make the tomato base sauce mix contents of sauce pack 1 with 1.5 cups of water and mix well.
4. Add 1 tbsp olive oil into a pan, then pour in the tomato base.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins without a lid.
6. Add light coconut cream and contents of sauce pack 2 into the sauce. Mix well until the colour of the sauce lightens.
7. Stir in 1/2 tbsp sugar and Fenugreek Leaves from the pack.
8. Simmer for 15 mins or until the sauce thickens to a deep orangey-red.
9. Add in the grilled cauliflower and cook for a min before turning off the heat.
10. Garnish with some coriander, a spoonful of coconut cream and some slivered almonds.
Serve hot with some fragrant Basmati rice or fresh naan bread.