Butter Chicken was invented almost 70 years ago at an Old Delhi restaurant called Moti Mahal. The chef combined pieces of grilled Tandoori Chicken with a spiced tomato sauce to create this culinary marvel.Here is the original Butter Chicken recipe using our finest quality authentic spice mixes. It takes about 45 mins to cook and makes 6 servings.Serve with hot Naan bread or Basmati rice.
- 1 Spicecraft Butter Chicken Spice Kit
- 1 kg chicken thigh filets
- 300 ml Light thickened cream
- 140 g tomato paste 1 tub
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 sprig fresh coriander for garnish
- 1.5 cups water
What you need
- Gather your ingredients
Marinate the chicken
- Cut chicken thighs into 3-4 cm pieces into a bowl. Add contents of the Marinade Spice Pack and 1 tbsp yogurt. Mix well and set aside for at least 15 mins or, if possible, overnight.For a dairy free version, use a tbsp of olive oil instead of yogurt.
- Grill the marinated chicken on a BBQ until lightly charred, or in the oven until cooked, reserving the juices. You can also do this later when the sauce is simmering away.
- To make the Butter Chicken sauce combine the contents of Sauce Pack 1 with 140g tomato paste and 1.5 cups of water
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a hot saucepan.
- Add the spiced tomato sauce. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow the sauce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the contents of Sauce Pack 2.
- Add the contents of Fenugreek Leaves from the pack and almost all the light thickened cream. Save a couple of tablespoons of cream for garnish later.
- Stir in 1 tbsp honey. Mix well until the sauce colour lightens. Simmer for 10 mins
- Now add in the grilled chicken and its juices and cook until the sauce thickens to a creamy consistency. Tip: If the sauce looks runny, simmer uncovered for another 10 - 15 mins until it thickens.
- Season with a generous pinch of salt to taste.
- Garnish your mouth wateringly delicious Butter Chicken with almond flakes and a dollop of cream. Serve hot with Saffron rice or Naan bread.