“Rice is great if you’re really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.”Mitch Hedberg.
Cooking perfect rice can sometimes feel like rocket science. It doesn’t have to be so long as you follow the right proportions of water and rice, and use the correct cooking pan.
This simple rice recipe is gently spiced and oh so flavourful. It pairs well with almost any meat or vegetarian curry. Try it with some Spicecraft Butter Chicken or the Cauliflower coconut curry.
You will need
1. Basmati Rice 275g
2. A pinch of good quality saffron (optional)
1. Rinse the rice under water until water runs clear.
2. Soak rice in water for at least 15 mins, longer if possible.
3. Mix saffron into 1 cup of warm water, steep for 15 mins longer if possible.
4. Drain all water from the rice, then place the rice into a saucepan that has a tight fitting lid.
5. Top with 1.5 cups water and 1 cup of the saffron liqueur. If not using saffron, just use 2.5 cups of water.
6. Turn to high heat and bring the rice and water to a rolling boil.
7. Now turn the heat down low and cover with a lid. Cook for 8 mins.
8. Turn off the heat, do not remove lid.
9. Allow to steam for 5-10 mins.
10. Remove lid and serve hot.